A.H. Belo: Projo paywall coming in second half of 2011May 3rd, 2011 at 5:06 pm by Ted Nesi under Nesi's Notes
The Providence Journal will put much of its content behind an online paywall sometime between July 1 and the end of this year, executives at parent company A.H. Belo confirmed on Tuesday.
The Projo “will roll out its subscriber content strategy in the second half of 2011″ for the print edition and Projo.com, according to a presentation A.H. Belo’s leaders made to investors in New York and posted on its website. The Press Enterprise of Riverside, Calif., will follow suit next year.
A separate section of the presentation defined the term “subscriber content” in the context of A.H. Belo’s flagship paper, the Dallas Morning News, which began charging readers $17 a month for digital access in March.
“Subscriber content is original and proprietary content, exclusive to, and generated by, The Dallas Morning News,” the slide said. “Subscriber content is only available in our newspaper, dallasnews.com, the mobile web and on our table and smart phone applications.”
The Journal’s print circulation fell by about 8 percent during the six months ended March 31, the Audit Bureau of Circulations reported earlier on Tuesday. A.H. Belo reported first-quarter earnings on Monday, and disclosed that among its three papers the Projo’s advertising revenue is falling at the fastest pace.
The Journal’s publisher issued a memo last October that said the paper’s plan was to post short summaries of its lengthier local stories online, but only offer the full versions to print and electronic-edition subscribers. He also said Providence-based firm ExNihilo is designing a new version of Projo.com.