Doherty will keep $1,000 from Sen. Ciccone despite allegationsApril 2nd, 2012 at 12:00 pm by Ted Nesi under Nesi's Notes, On the Main Site
By Ted Nesi
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Former State Police Col. Brendan Doherty says he’s keeping $1,000 donated to his congressional campaign by state Sen. Frank Ciccone, despite an allegation by police in Barrington that the lawmaker threatened them while they were arresting Senate Majority Leader Dominick Ruggerio.
“It is our understanding that Senator Ciccone has apologized for any comments that may have been viewed as improper,” Giovanni Cicione, Doherty’s campaign manager, told WPRI.com in an email. “For now we see no reason to take any action.”
Ciccone, a Providence Democrat, crossed party lines twice last year to contribute campaign cash to Doherty, who retired as head of the Rhode Island State Police to challenge first-term Democrat David Cicilline. Ciccone gave Doherty $500 in June and another $500 in October, according to Federal Election Commission records.
Ciccone said Friday he disputes some of the police report’s details but added, “I certainly regret anything I may have said Tuesday evening that was inappropriate.” Both Ciccone and Ruggerio, D-Providence, work for arms of the Laborers International Union of North America. That connection is part of why Doherty – whose campaign slogan is “Common Sense, Uncommon Integrity” – will keep the money, according to his campaign manager.