Doherty will return $1,000 from Ciccone after police allegationApril 4th, 2012 at 2:05 pm by Ted Nesi under Nesi's Notes, On the Main Site
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Republican Brendan Doherty said Wednesday he’ll return $1,000 donated to his campaign by state Sen. Frank Ciccone, criticizing the lawmaker for showing “very poor judgment” when he allegedly tried to threaten police officers as they arrested Senate Majority Leader Dominick Ruggerio.
The announcement comes two days after WPRI.com reported Doherty would keep Ciccone’s money despite last week’s incident in Barrington, a decision that drew criticism from some of his allies.
“With the benefit of additional information released today by the Barrington Police and upon careful reflection on the matter, I am extremely disappointed in the actions of Senator Ciccone and I have directed my campaign to return his contributions,” Doherty said in a statement.
Ciccone, a Providence Democrat, crossed party lines twice last year to contribute campaign cash to Doherty, who stepped down as head of the Rhode Island State Police to challenge first-term Democrat David Cicilline. Ciccone gave Doherty $500 in June and another $500 in October, according to Federal Election Commission records.
“I am confident that the Barrington Police acted with respect and courtesy in this situation, but it has become evidence that Senator Ciccone showed very poor judgment and failed to treat the police officers in the same manner,” Doherty said Wednesday.