38 Studios loses CEO and high-profile VP, LinkedIn suggestsMay 23rd, 2012 at 12:12 pm by Ted Nesi under Nesi's Notes, On the Main Site
38 Studios CEO Jen MacLean, who’s been on maternity leave for the past two months, removed the title of chief executive from her LinkedIn profile on Wednesday and listed the date of her departure from the video game company as March.
John Blakely, 38 Studios’ senior vice president of product development, also revised his LinkedIn profile to show that he left the company this month, describing his work there in the past tense: “I was responsible for leading the 38 Studios development teams in Baltimore, MD and Providence, RI.”
MacLean and Blakely did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Blakely was still with the company as recently as Monday evening, when he joined Curt Schilling at a meeting of the R.I. Economic Development Corporation board to discuss the company’s cash crisis. He joined the firm in January.
An EDC spokeswoman could not immediately comment on the executives’ status.
On March 15, 38 Studios trumpeted the hirings of Blakely and another new senior vice president, Mark Hansen, in a press release that described their arrivals as a sign the company was bringing in executives well-versed in the massively multiplayer online (MMO) game industry it’s targeting with “Project Copernicus.”
“John and Mark [Hansen] have had a decade of experience, and success, in the MMO space and I’m excited they are now part of the 38 Studios family,” Schilling said at the time.
More coverage of the crisis at 38 Studios:
- Analysis: Brain drain is 38 Studios’ most pressing problem now (May 22)
- Top industry analyst pegs 38 Studios’ game assets at $20M (May 23)
- Seven of EDC’s current directors voted to OK 38 Studios deal (May 23)
- 38 Studios workers among 300-plus at Tuesday recruiting event (May 22)
- Schilling praises ‘breathtaking resilience’ of 38 Studios staff (May 22)
- Another game studio to recruit in RI with 38 Studios struggling (May 22)