Climate Change Changing Our White Christmas Chances

December 15th, 2012 at 8:44 pm by under General Talk, Tony's Pinpoint Weather Blog

That’s a lot of  “ch’s” in that title!

Interesting weather graphics below and a not-so-nice outlook for the next 60 years. 

The first graphic shows the chances of us having a White Christmas based upon data from 1961 to 1990. 
We use 30 years of data to create a climate, or the average weather for an area.  Specifically, Providence has a 37% chance of having 1 inch of snow on the ground on Christmas morning.  That is what is considered a White Christmas.  Northwest Rhode Island has a 40-60% chance of a White Christmas in this time period.

 

 

Chances for a White Christmas from 1961-1990.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now, the latest information from NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, is below:

 

Chances of a White Christmas based upon data from 1981-2010.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You’ll have to look closely, but all of Rhode Island now has a 25-40% chance of 1inch of snow on the ground on December 25th.  The data set from 1961-1990, you’ll remember, had a 40-60% chance of a White Christmas.   So our chances of a White Christmas are dropping.

Moreover, just released this week, a report from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst says our winters will be warmer and wetter by 2070. …lessening our chances of White Christmases for years to come.

By the way, it’s not looking good for a White Christmas for us this year….I’d say less than a 10% chance right now. 

-T.J. Del Santo

 

 

 

 

 

One Response to “Climate Change Changing Our White Christmas Chances”

  1. Fantastic web site. Lots of useful info here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks in your effort!