What if the power stays out for a while?February 9th, 2013 at 6:25 am by petemangione under Tony's Pinpoint Weather Blog
If you can read this blog right now, you either have power or you have some battery life left on your mobile device/computer. If you are stuck without power for a long period of time, here are some tips for keeping you and your family warm:
-If you have a generator, make sure you run it outside, then run a cord into the house. Running a generator inside can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. (Speaking of corbon moxide, make sure your detectors have working batteries. This INCLUDES hard wired detectors, they will need those back up batteries to work today.)
-If it is safe to do so, go to a friend of relative’s house who does have power.
-If you can’t make it to a someone’s home who has power, you can use fireplaces or wood burning stoves. HOWEVER, make sure the fireplaces are functioning properly and chimneys are clear. The LAST thing emergency crews need today is dealing with putting out fires.
-Dress in layers. This includes hats and gloves.
DO NOT use propane heaters or gas stoves for heat. There is not adequate ventilation to do this.
I will be back with more updates….stay safe!