CVS Caremark Corp. isn’t just far and away the largest business in Rhode Island; it’s also the 18th-largest public company in the whole United States.
So it’s always interesting to get a reminder of just how enormous Woonsocket’s retail behemoth has become, an opportunity provided in the annual report the company filed with the SEC last week.
Without further ado, then, here are some numbers from the report, each one transcribed with extra care.
1.2 billion. That’s the total number of prescriptions filled by CVS last year between its retail pharmacies (636 million) and its pharmacy-benefit management business (585 million).
7,182. The total number of CVS retail drugstores (although 54 of them don’t have a pharmacy).
60. The number of CVS retail stores in Rhode Island.
339. The number of CVS retail stores in Massachusetts.
827. The number of CVS retail stores in California, which has more than any other state. Florida is second with 708, followed by Texas with 524.
$96.4 billion. CVS Caremark’s total revenue in 2010.
$98.7 billion. CVS Caremark’s total revenue in 2009.
$43.8 billion. CVS Corp.’s revenue in 2006, the year before it merged with Caremark Rx.
211,000. The number of CVS employees at the end of 2009.
201,000. The number of CVS employees at the end of 2010 – down 10,000 from a year earlier.
79,000. The number of those employees who worked part-time, or fewer than 30 hours a week.
92. The number of top 100 U.S. drugstore markets where CVS is currently operating. It’s got the first- or second-largest market share in 72 of those.
18%. The percentage of all 3.5 billion U.S. retail prescriptions filled by a CVS store last year.
41. The number of U.S. states with a CVS store, not including Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.
24. The number of state attorneys general participating in a multi-state investigation of CVS’s business practices. CVS says it “has been cooperating in these investigations, and continues to provide documents and other information as requested.”
13. The number of years Thomas Ryan will have been CEO of CVS when he retires on March 1.
25,000 square feet. The size of the largest CVS store; most new stores are between 10,000 and 13,000.
750,000 square feet. The total size of CVS’s corporate offices in Woonsocket, which are currently being expanded.